12 Keys To Super-Charging
Your Metabolism For Weight Loss!
Copyright Greg Landry
You hear it all the time - "metabolism",
but what is it? It's the process of converting food to energy (movement
and heat). Metabolism happens in your muscles and organs and the result
of it is what we commonly refer to as
"burning calories". Metabolism is essentially the speed at which
your body's motor is running.
"Basal metabolism" is the metabolic
rate or caloric expenditure needed to maintain basal body functions such
as your heart beating, breathing, muscle tone, etc. It's how fast your "motor" is
running when you're still in a reclined position or sleeping. Basal metabolism
accounts for about 75% of the calories you expend on a daily basis!
The good news is that there are 12 ways
you can "boost" your metabolism! The more of these you're able
to incorporate into your life, the more you'll boost your metabolism.
That means you'll be expending ("burning") more calories 24
hours a day!
- Always eat breakfast! Skipping breakfast
sends the message to your body that you're starving because you haven't
had food in 18+ hours. As a protective mechanism, your metabolism
slows down. Food, especially complex carbohydrates, fuels your metabolism.
- Eat earlier in the day! Research has
demonstrated that you can lose weight simply by eating a substantial
breakfast and lunch, and a light dinner. Dinner should be eaten as
early as possible, preferably at least four hours before bedtime.
- Never eat less than 1200 calories per
day! Less than 1200 is usually not enough to support your basal metabolism
and thus will slow your metabolism.
- Snack frequently! Complex carbohydrates
(fruits, vegetables, and grains) fuel your metabolism. Also, snacking
prevents you from becoming too hungry. The hungrier you are, the
less control you have over what and how much you eat.
- Eat more carbohydrates (food from plants),
and less fat (food from many animals and other food with added fat)!
Carbohydrates boost your metabolism and have fewer calories per weight
- Do some type of aerobic exercise (walking,
jogging, swimming, stationary cycling, aerobic dancing, etc.) on
a daily basis (preferably in the morning)! Forget this twice-a-week
stuff. Our bodies were designed to be active on a daily basis! When
we are, our metabolism soars!
- In addition to your regular aerobic
exercise, take a brisk 10 to 15 minute walk at lunch or in the evening.
This serves to boost your metabolism even more!
- Tone your muscles with weight training
three days per week. Toned muscles send your metabolism through the
roof. Do it!
- Look for situations to be active. Park
as far from the store as you can rather than looking for the closest
parking spot. Use the stairs rather than the elevator, a broom rather
than a blower, etc. Look for the "hard" way to do things!
- Avoid alcohol! Alcohol depresses your
metabolism and stimulates your appetite.
- Drink 60+ ounces of water a day. Your
metabolism needs plenty water to function properly. Carry a bottle
of water with you and drink frequently throughout the day.
- Avoid the"3 P's".....pills,
powders, and potions! There are NO quick fixes!
Get started today! You'll feel better and
your metabolism will be in "great shape"!
Author Profile: Author and exercise Physiologist,
Greg Landry, offers free weight loss success stories and articles, and
unique weight loss programs at his site. http://www.Landry.com
Return to Weight Loss Home Page
FREE Monthly Newsletters
We publish four FREE monthly email newsletters: Click Here to Subscribe to One or More Newsletters
- Inspired Lifestyles News - Inspiring, motivating and empowering quotes, stories and articles
- Healthy Lifestyles News - Articles, resources and products for living a healthier, more vibrant life
- Inspired Biz News - Articles and resources for a more spiritual, whole-living work environment
- InspiredLiving.com News & Sale Announcements - Sales events, new products and specials